With new products hitting the shelves each week, it’s fair to say that the number of skincare options out there can be a little overwhelming. Frantic messages from friends asking ‘do I really need to use toner?’ or ‘wait… does a mask replace my moisturiser?’ accounts for 50% of the texts on our phones.
We all agree: the world of skincare is a confusing place. Luckily for you though, we’ve recited the correct steps to layer skincare to ourselves over and over like it’s the Pledge of Allegiance, and now we’re here to impart our wisdom on to you.
Ready? Welcome to ‘how to layer skincare 101’.
- Step 1 – Cleanser
- Step 2 – Toner
- Step 3 – Serum
- Step 4 – Eye Cream
- Step 5 – Moisturiser
- Weekly Treatments
Best Skincare Steps
Follow Revolution Skincare’s step by step skincare routine to make sure you’re using the best products for your skin type, and in the correct order!
Step 1 – Cleanse
What Does Cleanser Do?
Cleansing removes makeup, dirt, and excess oil to leave skin feeling clean, fresh and ready for the next steps.
The Morning Cleanse
It’s safe to say that your face should still be relatively clean when you wake up, so a single wash to remove dirt transferred from your pillow, excess oil that has accumulated overnight and product residue from your evening routine will create a clean canvas for your next products.
The Evening Cleanse
An evening routine, however, requires double cleansing.
Throughout the day, dirt and pollutants settle onto the skin. Add makeup into the mix and you’ve got a recipe for clogged pores and build up. So, we recommend cleansing twice: the first cleanse breaks down makeup and washes away dirt and excess oil on the surface, while the second removes impurities from deep within your pores.
Best Cleanser For:
- Dry skin: If you have dry skin, the Hydration Boost Cleanser should be your go-to cleanser! While surfactants wash away dirt and impurities, the luscious blend of Shea Butter and Sunflower Seed Oil promises to nourish and comfort the skin.
- Oily and combination skin: Looking to decongest your skin without drying it out? You can’t beat the Glycolic Acid Glow Mud Cleanser! It absorbs excess oil and exfoliates the skin to prevent clogged pores, all while moisturising too.
- Blemished and acne-prone skin: For cleansed and mattified skin, look no further than the Mattifying Pink Clay Mud-to-Foam Cleanser. It helps to absorb excess sebum and dirt, while drawing moisture into the skin and reducing redness.
- Sensitive skin: When it comes to cleansing sensitive skin, it doesn’t get much better than the Cleansing Milk Jelly. Its softening and hydrating formula gently removes impurities and makeup without leaving skin feeling dry or tight.
- Dull skin: Want to reclaim a healthy glow? The Vitamin C Brightening Cream Cleanser is formulated with (you guessed it!) radiance-boosting Vitamin C to help remove makeup and impurities, while brightening the skin.
Here's our no-nonsense guide on how to pick the best face cleanser for your skin concern.